Social distancing and safety measures
Regathering at WCWH
Walnut Creek Windsor Heights family, we are so grateful for all of you and recognize that COVID-19 has affected each individual and family uniquely. As we regather in-person, it is our hope and intention to do so in a way that communicates Christ’s love, care, and compassion for the entire church body. If you have any questions or concerns throughout this process, please reach out to Pastor Tim Greeno at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to expect
How will you encourage social distancing?
- Services will be shortened to reduce the amount of time spent together
- Services will be limited to 50 percent capacity or less in terms of available seats in our main sanctuary.
- Seats will be organized in clusters with social distancing in mind — several chairs and rows removed, with pods for families and households.
- We will have specific entrances and exits marked to reduce the flow of people.
- We will have additional safe and sanitary seating available throughout the building, with services being live-streamed to various rooms. We will utilize kids rooms with clear capacity limits noted on the doors, as well as the chapel space. Additionally, we plan to have services broadcast (audio only) to the outdoor patio. Through the use of these additional spaces, we anticipate being able to accommodate everyone interested in attending our live services.
- In between services, our cleaning team will be sanitizing various areas throughout the building. Therefore, we would ask those attending the 9 a.m. service to not stay and mingle; those attending the 10:30 a.m. service should aim to arrive no earlier than 10:20 a.m.
What safety measures are being put in place?
One of the most important parts of the regathering process is ensuring a safe and responsible environment for everyone who comes through our doors. With that in mind, we have increased the frequency and extent of cleaning procedures. Cleaning will take place prior to each weekend service and in between services. In addition to our normal cleaning teams, which will continue to be involved in many ways to help keep our facilities clean and sanitary (thank you cleaning team!), we will also be hiring a professional cleaner for the next several months, on a part-time basis.
Areas routinely sanitized:
- Door handles
- Light switches
- iPads/Check-in stations
Additional Safety Measures:
- Offering — no baskets passed, single drop-off area instead
- Communion — sterilized, single-serve elements picked up on the way in to avoid gathering in one area
- Hand Sanitizer — use will be encouraged
- Greeters — will help us all practice social distancing from start to finish
- Doors — front doors will be held open by greeters and sanctuary doors kept open with door stops to minimize contact
- Refreshments — none initially
Will childcare be available?
Upon first regathering, we will not offer Kids’ Classes or nursery care for our weekend services. In order to help support families with children who may find it difficult to sit through the service in the main sanctuary, we will have several spaces available for families to view a streamed version of the service. We will not have any toys, crayons, coloring books, or other activities available. Instead, families are welcome to bring their own activities for their children if needed. We will also be live-streaming our services on our app and website for families that are unable to immediately regather in our physical locations.
When and how to reintroduce Kids’ Classes will be treated with a phased approach and evaluated by each location moving forward. The timing of this process depends greatly on many things we just don’t know at this point. However, Cole Meyers (WCWH Kids Coordinator) will be in consistent communication to help parents know what to expect and how to prepare.
Will there be an option to watch the service online?
Beginning June 7, we will live-stream both services through our app and website, for those who are not immediately able to rejoin us. We want those unable to physically gather with us to still feel part of the church service.
Is there a protocol in place for if someone who attends the service tests positive for COVID-19?
Our Central Staff and Local Teams are working hard to make returning to church as safe as possible and to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 spread. Part of this planning includes a protocol in the event that someone who has attended a weekend service later tests positive for COVID-19.
- If someone develops symptoms during a service, they will be directed to the Service Manager. The individual will be isolated, and safe transportation will be arranged to their home or a healthcare facility.
- Notification to congregants of potential exposure:
- Communication will be sent via church email and the website to inform church attendees that a potential exposure occurred on a particular date and service. The name of the individual will not be communicated by WCC. Contact tracing may occur through Iowa Department of Health or at the discretion of the individual.
- We would encourage anyone concerned about exposure to stay home (if possible), monitor for symptoms, check their temperature twice daily, and avoid contact with high risk individuals. Testing is available through your healthcare provider or by using the Test Iowa website.
- Cleaning and disinfecting of building:
- Church building will be closed off for 24 hours and then deep-cleaned and disinfected per CDC guidelines.
- Please follow CDC guidance for returning to in-person services:
- For those who have tested positive for COVID-19, they must be symptom and fever free for 72 hours and at least 10 days have passed since initial positive test.
- For those with close exposure to a person diagnosed with COVID-19, there must be at least 14 days since potential exposure.
Questions related to COVID-19 may be directed to email@example.com.
Opportunities to Serve
As we begin to regather in our services, we anticipate heightened needs in several areas. If you're interested in serving in these areas over the next several months (on a short-term basis), please reach out to the team leads listed below, or visit our teams link.
Coordinator: Jonathan Rector
Production (A/V) Team
Coordinator: Nate Mages
Coordinator: Loren Pavel