Social distancing and safety measures
Regathering at WCD
Walnut Creek Downtown family, we are so grateful for all of you and recognize that COVID-19 has affected each individual and family uniquely. As we regather in person, it is our hope and intention to do so in a way that communicates Christ’s love, care, and compassion for the entire church body. If you have any questions or concerns throughout this process, please reach out to Pastor Luke Hukee at email@example.com.
What to expect
How will you encourage social distancing?
- Services will be shortened to reduce the amount of time spent together.
- Services will be limited to 50 percent capacity or less in terms of available seats in our main sanctuary.
- Seats will be organized with social distancing in mind.
- Entrances and exits will be predominantly one-way use, with doors propped open.
- We have a livestream of the service on the patio on the South side of the building.
- In order to clean in-between services, we ask that visitors clear the building after their service ends through the South auditorium doors into the parking lot, and to not re-enter the building until 10 minutes before the next service.
What safety measures are being put in place?
One of the most important parts of the regathering process is ensuring a safe and responsible environment for everyone who comes through our doors. With that in mind, we have increased the frequency and extent of cleaning procedures. Cleaning will take place prior to each weekend service and in between services.
Areas routinely sanitized:
- Door handles
- Light switches
Additional Safety Measures:
- Offering — no baskets passed; we will have a basket at the back of the auditorium, in addition to virtual options for giving
- Communion — we will serve pre-packaged, single-serve elements
- Hand Sanitizer — stations set up throughout the building; use will be encouraged
- Greeters — will help us all practice social distancing from start to finish
- Doors — front doors will be held open by greeters and sanctuary doors kept open with door stops to minimize contact
- Refreshments — none initially
Will childcare be available?
Upon first regathering, we will not offer Kids’ Classes or nursery care. In order to help support families with children who may find it difficult to sit through the service in the auditorium, we will have classrooms available for a parent and child (under 5 years old) to view a livestream of the service. We will not have any toys, crayons, coloring books, or other activities available. Instead, families are welcome to bring their own activities for their children if needed. We will also be live-streaming our services on our app and website for anyone unable to immediately regather in our physical locations.
- Sanitize hands
- Maintain social distancing
- Don’t exceed room capacity
When and how to reintroduce Kids’ Classes will be treated with a phased approach. The timing of this process depends greatly on many things we just don’t know at this point. However, Jacob Bennett (WCD Kids Coordinator) will be in consistent communication to help parents know what to expect and how to prepare.
Will there be an option to watch the service online?
Starting June 6-7, we will livestream all of our services through our app and website for those who are not immediately able to rejoin us. We want those unable to physically gather with us to still feel part of the church service.